The wig has never been as popular as it is now, a must-have in the woman’s daily life. People also feel more and more confident whilst enjoying the versatility and flexibility in styling it provides.
There are countless options for wigs on the market, and the most important thing is to choose the best wig type and style that works for you. However, first-time wig wearers usually feel overwhelmed when buying wigs. Relax it, today we will give some basic knowledge of wig to help you change your look effortless.
1. Which Wig Material is Best for You?
The wig could be made of real human hair or synthetic hair, and both of them have their pros and cons, so which material is best for you?
Human Hair Wigs
The human hair wig is made from real human hair, so the price is very expensive. However, human hair wigs provide the most natural appearance and versatility, which is difficult to do with synthetic wigs. The wig can last for 1-2 years with the proper wig care.
But, you should note that not all human hair is first-class wig material, the human hair includes the Virgin hair, Remy hair, Non-Remy hair.
Virgin hair is the most expensive human hair material. It has never been permed, dyed, or bleached, retains the hair scales, and the hair ends are in the same direction.
Remy hair is second only to virgin hair in human hair, and it is the most material of high-quality wigs. The Remy hair ends are also in the same direction, but the hair is usually permed or dyed like our own hair.
Non-Remy hair is collected by the hair falling out naturally when people washing or combing their hair, so its root and tip direction is not the same direction. Non-Remy hair must be treated with acid to remove the hair’s scales to keep the wig hair smooth and slippery, but the Non-Remy hair has a short lifespan and the price is the cheapest among real human hair materials. (Remember: Most sellers refer to their Hair as Remy hair, not Non-Remy hair)
Synthetic Hair Wigs
Synthetic wigs can be made from nylon, Kanekalon, Toyakalon, etc. It is cheaper than a human hair wig. The synthetic hair wig can only last for 6 months.
- As the synthetic wig without hair scales easy to tangle, and the breathability-lack machine sewn, which is not recommended to wear a synthetic wig every day, it is commonly used in cosplay, party, and other dress-up occasions.
- Unlike the real human hair wig that can be permed, dyed, curled, the synthetic wig is pre-styled, which is hard to be colored or re-styled.
- Heat-friendly Hair: It is made from heat-friendly synthetic fibers, can be heated at 200-300 degrees to maintain no deformation, which lets you can perm and straighten your wig freely.
2. Different Types of Wig Cap Construction
The wig cap, also known as wig base, is the material that the hair is tied to create the wig. It is important to consider the wig cap construction as each one has its pros and cons. We will quickly explain the following 4 most popular wig caps in the market.
Lace Front Wigs
- A lace front wig is a wig that consists of a portion of sheer lace at the front hairline, usually measuring 13 x 3, 13 x 4, 13 x 6.
- The lace front wig can part the hair freely at the front and naturally blends with your own hair, creating an illusion of hair growing out of your hairline.
- Most are ready-to-wear & temple-to-temple or ear-to-ear.
360 Lace Wigs
- The 360 lace wig contains all the features of the Front lace wig, not only the front part, but also all the areas covered by the lace.
- You can freely part your hair in the forehead department and even a high ponytail will be very natural.
- Monofilament caps usually use sheer polyester or soft nylon mesh at the top so that your skin color can show through and create the illusion of a natural scalp look.
- Naturalness and versatility are Mono Wigs’ two main advantages.
- Knotting by hand may irritate some scalps, but the double monofilament wig is a great alternative for sensitive scalps to provide greater protection for women with sensitive scalps.
100% Hand-tied Wigs
- Using the hand-knotting technique to sew each strand of hair on the wig cap.
- This process is very time-consuming usually takes 10-15 days to construct by a professional craftsperson, so the cap price is usually more expensive than other caps.
- You can part your hair freely whatever you want, and versatile styling.
- There are no seams or wefts, meaning it is quite light, and will keep your head ventilated even wearing them all day.
- Weft wigs, also known as basic or open cap wigs and it is the traditional and most popular construction of wigs in the market.
- It is maybe not so natural looking as Lace front wigs, Mono Wigs, Hand-tied Wigs, and not support the styling versatility.
- The wefted wig is usually made from the synthetic hair machine sewn into, so its price is more affordable.
- The capless and open-space wig design is better for ventilation and breathability.
3. Wig Clips
Wig clips are used to connect the wig to your own hair. There are usually 3 clips sewn around the perimeter of the wig (3 pieces of non-slip silicone for the bald head), as the triangular frame is very stable, so the wig on your head is very stable, do not worry about the wind blowing, even wear a wig to sports.
4. Elastic Straps
The elastic strap is in the inside back of the wig. Elastic strap can be pulled tighter or looser for wearing comfort. It is recommended to measure your head circumference before buying because each person’s head circumference size is not fixed.
5. To Sum Up
The above is the basic knowledge about a wig, hope it is helpful for you when choosing one, if you have any questions, welcome to leave comments below.